What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is a fitness program that combines cardio, weightlifting, gymnastics, and body weight exercises into a Workout of the Day (WOD). It includes movements that mimic those we use in everyday life, which is why it’s also called “functional fitness.” CrossFit teaches you how to move through your body’s full range of motion safely and efficiently to prepare it to work better both in and out of the gym.
What are the Benefits of CrossFit?
- Improves Physical Strength – The workouts are different each day, creating variety that calls for lifting lighter weights for a lot of repetitions in one WOD and heavier weights for fewer repetitions in another. Whole-body dynamic movements are intermixed with isolated stabilizing ones. Each exercise challenges your muscles and joints differently to help increase muscle strength, mass, power, and stamina.
- Improves Endurance – CrossFit is based on the principles of high intensity interval training. That means the WODs are structured to have a specific work / rest ratio that helps improve cardiovascular fitness. The “work” (exercise) is to be performed at or near max effort with built-in periods of rest. These types of workouts are designed to bring your heart rate up so your body can learn to utilize more oxygen during exercise. More oxygen = more endurance!
- Improves Agility, Balance, and Flexibility – WODs include movements such as box jumps, lunges, kettlebell swings, and ball slams to challenge your body to jump, bend, and rotate with control. This can improve agility, balance, and flexibility and reduce your risk of injury.
- Helps with Weight Loss – CrossFit is highly efficient at burning calories. The American College of Exercise estimated that people burn an average of 12-20 calories per minute while doing CrossFit. Another bonus is that you continue to burn calories after your workout due to what’s known as the “afterburn effect.” When combined with a healthy diet, CrossFit is a great way to promote safe and lasting weight loss.
- Strengthens Your Brain – Research suggests that regular exercise alters the structure of the brain, improves cognitive functioning, and stimulates chemicals which positively affect the health of brain cells and blood vessels. Areas of the brain responsible for memory, concentration, creativity, and well being benefit from physical activity. Great!
- Anyone Can Do It – Every workout can be modified or adapted for people of any age or fitness level. Some might think that CrossFit is only for people who are already in shape, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. CrossFit can be for anyone!
- Community Support – CrossFit is known for its strong sense of community. You meet other people with similar fitness goals and train to accomplish those goals together. With CrossFit group classes and our experienced coaches, you’re always learning and trying something new. That keeps things fun and interesting while also holding you accountable for your health!
Sample CrossFit Workout Routine
Here is what a typical WOD at CrossFit LPF might look like:
- Part A = STRENGTH: 15:00
– 5×5 Back Squats
- Part B = MET CON: 12:00 AMRAP
– 12 Ring Dips
– 20 Kettlebell Swings
– 100m Farmer’s Carry
Part A of this workout focuses on building strength by performing one particular movement. You have 15 minutes to perform 5 sets of 5 back squats at a self-selected weight(s).
Part B of this workout focuses on metabolic conditioning (and is therefore referred to as a “met con”). You have 12 minutes to complete as many rounds as possible (AMRAP) of the three listed movements.
A coach will teach you how to appropriately complete the movements and offer modifications as needed to allow you to work the intended muscles in a manner that is appropriate for your skill level. CrossFit WODs are infinitely customizable to make sure that you get a beginner, intermediate, or advanced workout that works for YOU!
Why You Should Get Involved in CrossFit
The technical definition of CrossFit is “constantly varied functional movement at high intensity,” but when you walk through the doors of our gym, you’ll see that these 7 words, while accurate, barely scratch the surface of what CrossFit LPF has to offer. Come experience an exercise program brought to life by a community of individuals ready to help you achieve your health and fitness goals. Whether they consist of deadlifting a 500-pound barbell, running half a mile, or being able to touch your toes, there is always a spot for you to leave sweat angels in our box.