“I’m petty sure CrossFit isn’t what my doctor had in mind when she told me to exercise 3 to 4 times a week for 30 minutes. But I had already fallen in love with the sport and I was determined not to let Lupus be the reason why I stopped doing what I was passionate about!”
CrossFit LPF is beyond excited to introduce our November Athlete of the Month Ms. Nicole Bruno!
This nomination could not have come at a more perfect time. Nicole is a Lupus fighter, a friend, a sister and so much more. In this month’s special edition of Athlete of the Month, we have an awesome video detailing Nicole’s health journey over the last year. We also have a few things to say about this incredible young woman, beginning with a scripture that reminds us so much of Nicole:
“She is clothed with dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future” Proverbs 31:25
Anyone who knows Nicole knows that this is so true. She is LPF’s Punky Brewster. She literally skips into the gym, ready for whatever we have in store with miles and hugs for everyone. No matter what kind of day she’s having, Nicole does her best and she’ll make sure you do too. Don’t mistake this girl’s kindness for weakness. She can lift some heavy weight! She plays by the rules, respects the program, and thrives off the energy of our community. She has grown in so many ways over the last 2 1/2 years and I know that she does not plan on stopping anytime soon. Nicole lives with purpose and it will be fulfilled.
Here are 5 questions we asked Nicole:
- Favorite CrossFit Movement: “The Full Clean (1 rep MAX: #145). I love weightless feeling I get when I am pulling myself under the bar. It’s amazing!”
- Favorite sport: “I love all kinds of sports and enjoy learning new ones as well.”
- Least favorite lift and why: “The Full Snatch! It’s not really my least favorite but it definitely requires the most amount of effort, energy and practice for me.”
- How has CrossFit Impacted your life? “I can say a lot here but I’ll just say that it has improved my mental toughness and sense of discipline beyond measure.
- Favorite part of CrossFit? “I love being able to grow in my fitness journey alongside my people, whom have become my family, doing the same.”
Nicole, you are such an inspiration! Your smile and friendly personality are truly infectious. Your drive to keep pushing forward and encouraging others to do the same is just one reason why we think you are so great. We adore you and are grateful for your friendship. Thank you for bringing happiness to our community!
Video Credit: Tori Simmons